Have you come across the terms FastPass, FastPass+, FP, or FP+ in your Walt Disney World vacation planning research? Are you uncertain exactly what any of that means? Well, if so, you’re in the right spot! This is a crash course in the basics of FastPass+!
In short, a FastPass+ is a window of time where you have a reservation to skip the “standby” line of an attraction. Not every attraction offers a FP+ option, but most do! We noted which rides offer FP+ in our park rides overview posts (Magic Kingdom, Epcot, Hollywood Studios, and Animal Kingdom), but there are also shows that offer FP+.
It is important to note that while technically FastPass and FastPass+ are different (FastPass is the original paper ticket method and FastPass+ is the new electronic method, plus other minor differences), a lot of people use the terms interchangeably. I made sure to add that plus symbol throughout this post, but most of the time when texting with friends I’ll just use FP instead of FP+.
All you absolutely need to be able to select FP+ for your trip is a valid theme park admission – and happily, there is no extra fee to use FP+! Seriously, this option is included in your theme park admission! Isn’t that awesome?! Not every theme park does this for free… just sayin’…
You can make your FP+ selections multiple ways: online at the Disney website, through the My Disney Experience app, or in person at a kiosk in the park you’re visiting. Click here to jump to directions on how to make your selections; keep reading to learn more about FastPass+ in general.
You can actually make your selections in advance if you do them online or through the app, but obviously that wouldn’t work for the in park option… kind of hard to do something in person until you’re there, right? Selections can be made up to 30 days in advance for anyone with park tickets, but guests staying at a WDW resort can actually make their selections up to 60 days in advance (and I highly, highly recommend you take advantage of that ability).
If you’re going by yourself things are very straightforward. If you’re going with other people, either every adult can make his/her own FP+, or one person can be in charge of making selections for the whole party – so long as you’re all connected in MDE! Adults and children 14 & older can make their own MDE accounts, and then you can all add each other to your Friends & Family lists. Children under 14 are not allowed to have their own accounts, but you can add them to your own account as a “managed” party.
When you are making your initial FastPass+ selections, you will only be allowed to make 3 per park per person per day. That means if you are going by yourself you could make selections for Seven Dwarfs Mine Train, Jungle Cruise, and Haunted Mansion all for your Monday at Magic Kingdom. However, you are not limited to 3 total for the day! Once you use up your initial 3 selections, you may make another (and it doesn’t have to be in the same park if you have Park Hopper – you could then head on over to Epcot with a FP+ for Spaceship Earth), and once you use that one you can make another… on and on until the park closes. One time when Heather and I went to Magic Kingdom we did our first 3 FP+ for relatively early morning. As soon as we got in line for the last one we had phones out to make another selection. We did that all day long and managed to make at least 12 FP+ throughout the day!
How To Book FastPass+
- Head over to the WDW website and log in. Under the My Disney Experience menu to the top right of the screen, click on FastPass+.
- Click the “Add FastPass+” button and build your party. You will automatically be selected, and you can add anyone else that’s in your Friends & Family list (so long as they have tickets that have been linked to MDE too). You can actually make FP+ for someone else and not yourself, simply deselect your name! You’ll click next and go to the date/park screen.
- Once you pick your date you can pick the park, and then a list of all available FP+s will come up. Find the ride you want and pick the time that best works for you, then click confirm, and you’re all set for that ride.
- And then you can either make another selection or click that you’re done. I promise that it really is a lot easier than this paragraph makes it seem. Promise promise.
- MDE app:
- Log into your account on the app and tap your character icon at the bottom of the screen.
- Under “My Plans” click “Get FastPass+” and then click the little blue plus sign at the top right of that screen.
- From there the steps are basically the same. Select your party, then your date and park, and then the ride and time that suits you best. Once you’ve finished you will be able to see all of your FP+ selections listed out in the app. Or online.
- In the park: There are kiosks located throughout the parks that will allow you to do this. You can use any kiosk to check all of your FP+ plans for your trip, but you can only modify or make new selections for the park that you’re currently in, for the day that you’re there. I have not used a kiosk since WDW moved away from the paper FastPasses of yore, so that’s about all I know about it right now. I’ll be sure to find more details when I’m there next though!
Click here to go back where you were.
Question of the Day: Do you use FastPass+ to help plan your trips or do you just wing it every day?